A 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard was deported from Tennessee to Germany, authorities said Saturday.
Friedrich Karl Berger, who is a German citizen, was ordered to be removed from the U.S. in February of last year due to his participation in “Nazi-sponsored persecution” while guarding prisoners at a concentration camp in the Neuengamme concentration camp system in 1945, according to a statement from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Berger was a guard at a Neuengamme subcamp near Meppen, Germany, where prisoners were held during the winter of 1945. During a two-day trial last February, Berger admitted to guarding prisoners in order to prevent them from escaping.
“Berger’s removal demonstrates the Department of Justice’s and its law enforcement partners’ commitment to ensuring that the United States is not a safe haven for those who have participated in Nazi crimes against humanity and other human rights abuses,” Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson said in a statement.
The decision also noted that he still receives a pension from Germany based on his employment for the country, “including his wartime service.”
More on THE HILL