A nursing student who was stabbed to death in her New York City apartment had been visited by NYPD cops just one hour earlier because she reported that her ex-boyfriend was trying to break in, it has been revealed.

By Wes Parnell, Brittany Kriegstein, Thomas Tracy and Molly Crane-Newman

Alayna Hardy, 27, was killed in her apartment in Harlem, allegedly by her ex-boyfriend Fernando Munera, 26, on Wednesday night after he had broken in through the fire escape.

Fernando Munera, 26 (pictured left), has been charged with murder, burglary and criminal contempt for the stabbing death of his ex-girlfriend, Alayna Hardy, 27 (left and right)

Munera was charged with murder, burglary and criminal contempt on Thursday in connection with Hardy’s brutal killing. 

Hardy called 911 around 8.15pm to report Munera was trying to break in. Cops from the 25th Precinct ‘simply took a report and left’ but didn’t search for him, the New York Post reported. She previously filed six domestic violence reports against him.

Hardy told cops Munera was on her fire escape which violated a restraining order that has been in effect since February, the New York Daily News previously reported. 

He left by the time police responded but allegedly returned around 8.45pm and repeatedly stabbed her in the body and neck during a fight, which also left the suspected attacker badly injured.

The video footage appears to be from the second time police responded after Hardy had been stabbed

Officers were dispatched again to the apartment after the attack and Hardy was taken by ambulance to Metropolitan Hospital with multiple stab wounds and was later pronounced dead.

Munera also had knife wounds to his chest and neck at the hands of his victim, who police say had desperately fought for her life. He was transported to Harlem Hospital and remains in critical condition, cops said. 

People close to Hardy, pictured, have now ripped the NYPD for allegedly bungling its response to her call for help

Hardy was a native of Arizona but lived in New York City for several years. It is unclear how long she and Munera had been together, but a photo posted on her Facebook page in December showed the woman embracing her boyfriend.

On February 13, Munera was charged with unlawful imprisonment, harassment and property damage stemming from a domestic incident involving Hardy.

The 27-year-old woman and her 26-year-old former flame were found by cops inside her apartment on E. 115th St. and First Ave., in East Harlem. (Sam Costanza/for New York Daily News)

Prosecutors said during his arraignment that Munera restrained Hardy, took away her phone and prevented her from leaving a bedroom.

After she managed to escape, Munera allegedly vandalized her apartment.

A judge issued a temporary order of protection against Munera, prohibiting him from contacting Hardy – even as he continued living in the same building as his ex-girlfriend.

Munera was scheduled to appear before a judge in connection with the February case on Thursday morning, just hours before Hardy’s killing.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here