By Utkarsha Laharia

A Maryland driver’s car was completely engulfed in flames after he decided to clean his hands with highly-flammable hand sanitizer while smoking.

The fire started on Thursday afternoon at the Federal Plaza Shopping Center in Maryland when the driver lit up a cigarette while parked, then applied the anti-bacterial solution to his hands. 

The embers from the cigarette ignited a smear of hand sanitizer, causing the driver’s car to be consumed by flames, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said. 

Hand Sanitizer And Cigarette Cause Car Fire

News helicopter footage showed firefighters dousing the black Toyota Camry with foam to quell the inferno, which was extinguished shortly afterwards.

Hand sanitizer, cigarette sparked Maryland car blaze, officials say

The driver suffered non-life-threatening first- and second-degree burns on his hands and inner-thighs and was transported to a local hospital.    

Dramatic overhead footage of the fire showed the car completely totaled by fire. 

‘Using hand sanitizer and smoking a cigarette is a bad combo in un-ventilated areas like a car,’  a fire department spokesperson said. 

MORE ON NEWSWEEK

close

Oh hi there 👋

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every day.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here