By Lauren Dugan

Police were called to the 2500 block of South 71st Street just before 3:30 a.m. Saturday after a woman reported she was being held at gunpoint by her boyfriend who threatened to burn down the house. 

When police arrived they found the house engulfed in flames and a noticeable smell of gasoline.

Officers said they rescued a 56-year-old woman from the home and returned inside to remove her 90-year-old grandmother. 

In an exclusive interview with FOX 29’s Lauren Dugan, Tammy Morris denied police reports and said she saved herself and elderly mother from a domestic dispute turned house fire when cops would not go inside.

When officers went inside, they were allegedly met by a man who pointed a handgun at them but did not fire. Officers and the elderly woman were able to escape the house unharmed, according to police.

The victim’s boyfriend’s body was later found on the second floor of the charred home, according to police. The cause of death is still under investigation.

In an exclusive interview with FOX 29’s Lauren Dugan, Tammy Morris refuted the Philadelphia Police Department’s account of what happened on Saturday morning. Morris claims she saved herself from the home and went back inside to get her grandmother when officers refused. 

“I’m so upset with Philadelphia police, and then to get on camera and lie and say that you helped, say that you rescued two women, you didn’t rescue nobody,” Morris said.

She claims that police encouraged her to jump out a window when she saw her boyfriend pour gasoline around the home and turn up the gas on the stove.

Once Morris fled the house, she allegedly told cops that her grandmother was inside but they would not enter the home, so she went in to get her.

“I appreciate [police] every time they come out and I still respect the cops, because it ain’t all them, but whoever was in charge definitely didn’t handle it right,” Morris said.

A spokesperson from the Philadelphia Police Department on Sunday night said it is “regrettable that accurate information was not relayed to the media” and that preliminary information may change during the investigation.

Meanwhile, Morris is now left with nothing after the fire destroyed her home. She is living with her sister and hoping insurance can help recover what she lost.

More on FOX29 NEWS

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here