Two people died in a fire sparked by commercial-grade fireworks at a home in Ontario Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

By CBSLA Staff

The incident occurred shortly after 12:30 p.m. in the 400 block of West Francis Street, shattering nearby windows and sending a large plume of smoke into the air.

Towering billows of smoke were still rising from the house more than an hour after authorities first responded. Sky5 was flying overhead as firefighters tried putting out the blaze just after 1 p.m., when bright red flames were still visible through the home’s windows.

Officials later confirmed two fatalities and the wounding of a horse and dog in the blaze.

Firefighters received a call about an explosion in the area at 12:28 p.m., Ontario Chief Ray Gayk said during a news conference later in the afternoon. He said the first responders saw flames upon arriving to the home.

“That’s when we noticed the fire had started,” Gayk said. “It appeared to be commercial-grade fireworks.”

He said investigators with the department’s bomb squad, FBI and ATF were still going through the area to make sure no explosives were left about three hours after firefighters responded.

It was reported that multiple peripheral buildings were involved in the blast. The fire department did not confirm what the nature of the incident was but they were checking the area for further explosives.

One CBSLA employee who lives nearby reported that his entire house shook and that there was smoke in the air from it.

Road closures were temporarily issued by the Ontario Police Department. Francis, Locust, and Maple were closed between Fern and San Antonio, the department said.

As of 3:30 p.m., only the 300 and 400 blocks of West Francis and the 400 block of West Maple were under evacuation order.

People were advised to stay out of the area.

More on CBS2 NEWS

close

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here